After this blog, you will never ask the same questions again! Are you an aspiring MBBS student who is worried about career options after MBBS?
Or have you considered questions like “pg courses after mbbs”, “options after mbbs” or even “jobs after mbbs”? There are a lot of approaches and ways one you may go after mbbs in India, but what is best, comes with wisdom.MBBS
We will guide you through the very basics of choices after MBBS you can opt for and where, when, and how. We will help you at our best towards all courses and career options after MBBS.
What after MBBS?
The first question, is of course, what after MBBS? Following are choices of courses that will make career after MBBS:
- Hospital management
- Foreign studies
- Clinical practice
With this keeping as a key point, we will get answers to all our questions regarding MBBS.
Post-Graduation after MBBS
There are 3 main Post Graduation courses you can opt for after MBBS. PG career after MBBS is indeed what everyone’s parents ask for. These are as follows:
- PG- Specialty
- PG- Diploma
Post-graduation courses after mbbs in India are the most pronounced MD (Doctor of Medicine) and MS (Master of Surgery). These are some of the toughest PG exams in India and even after a lot of tries, many mbbs graduates fail to get success.
The simple reason behind this is the very limited number of seats. Even after you get the college of your choice, you may not get the course of choice or vice-versa.
Although many private colleges provide pg seats, the price of private institutions outweighs that of merit quota.
Nevertheless, you will be having great career options after MBBS after completing Post graduation.
Entry via: NEET PG
Duration of course: 3 years
The complete list of PG degree courses after MBBS in India includes 78 recognized courses:
- DM – Infectious Diseases
- DM – Organ Transplant Anesthesia & Critical Care
- DM – Critical Care Medicine
- MD – Thoracic Medicine
- MD – Sports Medicine
- MD – Family Medicine
- MD – Radio Diagnosis/Radiology
- MD – Aviation Medicine/Aerospace Medicine
- MD – Tuberculosis & Respiratory Diseases / Pulmonary Medicine
- Anesthesia. & Critical Care Med.
- MD – Medical Genetics
- MD – Rheumatology
- Master of Family Medicine
- MD – Palliative Medicine
- Master of Public Health (Epidemiology)
- MD – Blood Banking & Immuno. Haem./Imm. Haem. & Blood Trans.
- MD – Tropical Medicine
- MD – Maternity & Child Health
- MD – Pulmonary Medicine
- MD – CCM
- MD – P.S.M
- MD – TB & Chest
- MD – Skin & VD & Lepxsy
- MD – MD- Skin & VD
- MD-Transfusion Medicine
- MD – Immuno Hematology & Blood Transfusion
- MD – Medicine
- Doctor of Medicine
- Master’s of Physician
- MD – Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- MD – Pathology & Microbiology
- MD – Emergency Medicine
- MD – R & D
- MD – Anesthesiology
- MD – Anatomy
- MD – Aviation Medicine
- MD – Bio-Chemistry
- MD – Bio-Physics
- MD – Community Medicine
- MD – Dermatology
- MD – Forensic Medicine/Forensic Medicine & Toxicology
- MD – General Medicine
- MD – Community Health Administration
- MD – Geriatrics
- MD – Hospital Administration
- MD – Health Administration
- MD – Lab Medicine
- MD – Microbiology
- MD – Nuclear Medicine
- MD – Obstetrics & Gynecology
- MD – Ophthalmology
- MD – Pediatrics
- MD – Pathology
- MD – Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy
- MD – Pharmacology
- MD – Physiology
- MD – Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- MD – Psychiatry
- MD – Radio Diagnosis
- MD – Radiology
- MD – Radiotherapy
- MD – Social & Preventive Medicine / Community Medicine
- MD – Tuberculosis & Respiratory Diseases/Medicine
- MD – Venereology
- MS – Obstetrics and Gynecology
- MS – Orthopedics
- MS – Anatomy
- MS – ENT
- MS – General Surgery
- MS – Ophthalmology
- MS – Anesthesia
- MS. – MS. Medicine
- MS – Neuro Surgery
- MS – Traumatology and Surgery
- MD/MS – Anatomy
- MD/MS – Ophthalmology
- MD/MS – Obstetrics & Gynecology
MD or MS? This is another tricky question, however, the choice mainly depends on one’s skills and wishes. We will soon write a blog on this topic too.
Pg diploma courses after mbbs include a total of 61 courses according to MCI in India. These are as follows:
Duration of course: 2 year
Following is the list of Diploma Courses after MBBS:
- Diploma in Anesthesia
- Diploma in Child Health
- Diploma in Community Medicine
- Diploma in Clinical Pathology
- Diploma in Dermatology
- Diploma in Diabetology
- Diploma in Forensic Medicine
- Diploma in Health Administration
- Diploma in Hospital Administration
- Diploma in Health Education
- Diploma in Bacteriology
- Diploma in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Diploma in Industrial Hygiene
- Diploma in Immuno-Haematology and Blood Transfusion
- Diploma in Leprosy
- Diploma in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology
- Diploma in Radio-Diagnosis
- Diploma in Radio Therapy
- Diploma in Medical Virology
- Diploma in Occupational Health
- Diploma in Ophthalmology
- Diploma in Orthopaedics
- Diploma in Public Health
- Diploma in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Diploma in Psychological Medicine
- Diploma in Radiation Medicine
- Diploma in Sports Medicine
- Diploma in Tuberculosis & Chest Diseases
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine Health
- Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy
- Diploma in Venereology
- Diploma in Paediatrics
- Diploma – Aviation Medicine
- Diploma in Cardiology
- Diploma in Basic Medical Sciences (Anatomy)
- Diploma in Basic Medical Sciences (Physiology)
- Diploma in Basic Medical Sciences (Pharmacology)
- Diploma in Maternity & Child Welfare
- DGO -PREVENTIRE & SOCIAL MEDICINE
- Diplom -Diploma V & D
- Diploma – Diploma – OLO – Rhino-Laryngology
- Diploma – Diploma in Medical Radio-Diagnosis
- Diploma in Medicine Radiology and Electrology
- Diploma – Diploma in Pathology & Bacteriology
- Diploma- Plastic Surgery
- Diploma- Urology
- Diploma-Diplomate N.B.(Gen.Surg.)
- Diploma in Microbiology
- Dip. in Path.& Bact.
- Diploma in Industrial Health
- Diploma in Medical Radio Electrology
- Diploma (Marine Medicine)
- Diploma in Nutrition
- Diploma in ENT
- Diploma in Psychiatry
- Diploma in Radiological Physics
- Diploma in Neuro-pathology
- Diploma in Allergy & Clinical Immunology
DNB (Diplomate of National Board) after MBBS
DNB stands for Diplomate of National Board and is another diploma equivalent to MD. You can find more about DNB in the link given below. This is another perfect career option after MBBS apart from Post-graduation.
Duration of course: – 3 years
Link to DNB CET
Ph.D. after MBBS
Clinical research options for MBBS students rely on your will to learn and to invent.
The most renowned research institute in India is the ICMR (Indian council for medical research) which is also renowned for its studentship to graduating mbbs students, though the 5000 INR is too low for 2 months, the experience adds wonders to your resume.
Duration of course: – 3 years
Following 45 Ph.D. courses after MBBS has been recognized by MCI in India:
- Ph. D – BioChemistry
- Ph. D – Microbiology
- Ph. D – Pathology
- Ph. D – Forensic Medicine
- Ph. D – Anaesthesia
- Ph. D – Bio-Statistics
- Ph. D – Bio-Technology
- Ph. D – Cardiology
- Ph. D – Community Medicine
- Ph. D – Cardio Thoracic & Vascular Surgery
- Ph. D – Dermatology & Venereology
- Ph. D – Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Ph. D – ENT
- Ph. D – Gastro & Human Nutrition Unit
- Ph. D – Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Ph. D – Hospital Administration
- Ph. D – Haematology
- Ph. D – Histo Compatibility & Immunogenetics
- Ph. D – Lab Medicine
- Ph. D – Medical Oncology
- Ph. D – Medical Physics
- Ph. D – Medicine
- Ph. D – Nephrology
- Ph. D – Neurology
- Ph. D – Neuro Surgery
- Ph. D – Neuro Magnetic Resonance
- Ph. D – Nuclear Medicine
- Ph. D – Obst. & Gynae
- Ph. D – Ocular Bio Chemistry
- Ph. D – Ocular Microbiology
- Ph. D – Ocular Pharmacology
- Ph. D – Orthopaedics
- Ph. D – Paediatric Surgery
- Ph. D – Paediatric
- Ph. D – Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Ph. D – Psychiatry
- Ph. D – Radiotherapy
- Ph. D – Radio Diagnosis
- Ph. D – Surgery
- Ph. D – Urology
- Ph. D – Medical Biochemistry
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Ph. D-Pharmacology
- Ph. D – Anatomy
- Ph. D – Physiology
Hospital Management after MBBS
Hospital management is another very fast developing sector which is one trending career option available for MBBS students. IIM (Indian Institute of Management) is one worthy but toughest choice.
But you should be prepared to face the competition for this course.
MBA or MHA? Where MBA stands for Masters of Business Administration, MHA stands for Masters in Hospital Administration. Both are choices for getting into hospital management, but which to go for? You can read our review on MBA vs MHA.
Duration of course: 2 years
Foreign Studies after MBBS
And then you wanted to study abroad, but here we will discuss education after MBBS in USA and UK. USMLE is for the US while PLAB is for the UK.
USMLE after MBBS
USMLE stands for the United States Medical Licensing Examination and is one of the most fortunes giving choices. Yet many Indians fail to achieve success even after appropriate tries.
This is because USMLE is a 3-step procedure. Further, the costs are too high and even after you complete these three steps, it still doesn’t guarantee until you have secured US residency. But if you get it, you will make fortunes after MBBS.
PLAB after MBBS
PLAB is an alternative to USMLE who want to study in the UK after MBBS. PLAB stands for Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board. It is an option after MBBS in the UK. Explore all our posts on PLAB to have in-depth knowledge of this route to the UK.
You can find more info on PLAB here.
Please note, there are other master’s degrees and Ph.D. after MBBS courses in other countries like the US too, but we have missed them since we are focusing on more appropriate choices for an Indian MBBS student.
Clinical Practice after MBBS
While some people believe that practicing at a clinic refreshes what you study and hence helps in preparing for PG exams, some give preference to getting as much time for books.
An MBBS graduate student may plan to study while going for a job after mbbs or start clinical practice immediately after completing MBBS. It can be done in the following ways:
- Government hospitals: You can either go for a Full-time job or even do a contract basis part-time job.
- Private Hospitals- Corporate sectors always welcome worthy students.
- Owned clinic- Owned clinics, nursing homes, or hospitals are always the best choice for some.
NMC (National Medical Council)
So, we hope we delivered you the best of courses and career options that you can go for after MBBS. If you still have doubts, let us know in the comments.