In this post, I will share steps for getting a TB test for UK visa while simultaneously sharing my experience at the Tuberculosis center in Delhi, India.
TB Test for UK Visa
A tuberculosis test is mandatory if you are planning to move to the UK for more than 6 months. This is true if:
- If you reside in any of the countries that require TB testing
- If you have lived in any of the countries requiring tuberculosis tests in the last 6 months
Who Does Not Need Screening?
TB test is not required if:
- You are a UK-accredited diplomat.
- You are a returning UK resident who has not been gone for more than 2 years.
- You have resided in a nation where TB screening is not needed by the UK for at least 6 months and have been absent from that country for no more than 6 months.
List of Countries Requiring TB Test for UK Visa
Some of the countries that require tuberculosis screening are:
- Sri Lanka
TB Test for UK Visa in India
You can take the screening test only in the approved clinics. No other certificates from any other testing center are valid and are considered void even if you try.
Some of the following clinics are approved if you wish to get a medical test for UK visa in India:
Address: Max Medcentre, Lajpat Nagar
Sadhu Vaswani Mission Medical Centre
Clinical Diagnostic Centre
We have highlighted only a couple from the complete list in India. If you are in another country, you can find help here.
There are three documents required for a TB test for UK Visa:
- Original Passport
- Passport Photocopies (front and back)
- Two Passport-size Photographs
How to Get Tuberculosis Test for UK Visa done
Total Time: 1 day
Book an Appointment
You will have to contact the approved clinics and book an appointment. A full list can be found here.
Carry Documents Required
There are three documents required for TB Test. These include:
1. Original Passport
2. Passport Photocopies (front and back)
3. Two Passport-size Photographs
Reach Approved Clinic
Upon reaching the clinic, you will be asked to fill out a form. This will require your name, address, and type of visa required. Once done, you will be asked to do the payment and wait in the queue depending on the visitors.
Get Chest Xray Done
The UK Medical Test involves testing for tuberculosis primarily. This will involve a chest x-ray which will be done in the same sitting. Once your x-ray is done, you will be asked again to wait in the queue.
Review by Physician
After some wait, you will be called by the physician who will provide you with the TB Clearance Certificate. If there is any active Tuberculosis, you will be asked to receive treatment accordingly.
Receiving the TB Clearance Certificate
Following the review, the documents will be submitted to the receptionist who will then stamp them along with your passport-size photograph. This is the last step of the process.
I booked an appointment through Max Medcentre. The process was pretty smooth and done in a single day. There is an additional tip I will drop for you:
Carry a pen and a mask. This way, you won't have to buy it. Usually, there is a store in front of the clinic which will provide you with both.
The staff was friendly and I had no trouble getting the certificate. However, it does take time as you have to sit idle for a couple of hours while waiting for your number.
One last thing, you don’t need to change and wear a gown. The chest x-ray is done without it, but you need to remove any heavy outfits such as jackets or sweaters if you are wearing one. Lastly, any metal objects should be thoroughly removed.
TB Test Fess for UK Visa
The rates are usually written on the list. For Max Medcentre, it was 2650 INR. These can vary from clinic to clinic and may change over time. Only a chest x-ray is done for UK Visa medical test.
When you contact them for the first time, they will tell you the fees and the documents required. If not, make sure you ask them these questions yourself.
Additional Resources for PLAB Guidance
- Step 1: Passing IELTS/OET and providing your English Proficiency Exam to GMC
- Step 2: Knowing the Exam Dates
- Step 3: Booking PLAB 1 Slot Effectively (You are here)
- Step 4: Picking the Right Study Material
- Step 5: Creating A Study Schedule
- Step 6: EPIC Verification
- Step 7: Applying for UK Visa (all documents, cover letter, invitation letter, and experiences)
- Step 8: Booking PLAB 2 Academy
- Step 9: Booking an Accommodation
- Step 10: Passing the PLAB 2 Exam
- Step 11: Getting GMC Registration
- Step 12: Creating a Perfect CV
- Step 13: Searching for Jobs
Other guides you can check out:
Which TB test is required for the UK visa?
A chest x-ray is done to look for any signs of TB. The physician will tell you if there are changes. If there are none, you will receive the clearance. If there are, a sputum test will be required to look for active tuberculosis.
If found, you will be asked to receive the treatment for at least 6 months as advised by your physician.
What are the requirements for the TB test for the UK Visa?
There are documents which you must provide:
1. Original Passport
2. Passport photocopies (back and front)
3. Passport-sized photos
Why does the UK require a TB test?
A Tuberculosis screening is required because:
1. To detect the presence of Lung TB and prevent the individual from worsening and infecting others.
2. To screen individuals who intend to stay in the UK for more than six months and are traveling from a country where tuberculosis is prevalent.
Can I apply for a UK visa without a TB test?
If you are applying for a tourist visa with a stay of fewer than 6 months, you are not required to take the screening test. Additionally, people are not required to go testing if:
1. You are a diplomat recognized by the UK.
2. You are a resident of the UK who hasn’t left for more than two years.
3. You have spent at least six months living in a country where the UK does not need TB screening and have spent no longer than six months away from that country.
What happens if I have a positive TB test?
If you are found positive, your physician will refer you to a minimum six-month treatment plan. No clearance certificate will be issued.
You will have to inform local, regional or national authorities. Once your treatment is complete, a re-screening can be scheduled and a certificate can be issued if the tuberculosis is no longer detected.
What if I had TB previously?
If you had Tuberculosis previously and it is no longer detected in the screening program, you will be issued a clearance certificate. The Visa application procedure will not be impacted by a prior TB diagnosis if the applicant is later declared TB-free.
How many months is the TB test valid for UK Visa?
The certificate is valid for six months from the date of issuing. An additional screening test for latent (inactive) TB can be offered by health authorities in addition to the certificate upon arrival in the UK.
Are Pregnant women required to undergo TB testing?
If a woman is pregnant and requires a Tuberculosis test for UK Visa, she can be offered one of the three:
1. An additional barrier that involves a shield to protect the mother and unborn child, especially in the second and third trimesters.
2. A sputum test instead of a chest x-ray which may take up to 8 weeks.
3. To postpone the entire procedure until delivery.
Are children required to get TB testing done for a UK visa?
Children under 11 years of age are usually not required to undergo the screening. However, this is decided by the physician. A questionnaire is carried out by the physician which decides whether the testing is required or not.
How much time does it take for getting a TB certificate?
The entire process is usually done in a single day. This depends on your results. If found positive, this can be delayed by at least 6-9 months.