The First year of MBBS consists of one year of teaching basic science which includes the Subjects – Anatomy, Physiology, and Biochemistry with some learning of Community Medicine. We will guide you with every aspect of the MBBS 1st Year Syllabus with a detailed list of the best & recommended MBBS Books for each subject. This post will clear your doubts on how to study MBBS First Year. Additionally, you can check our Download Section to download the eBooks in PDF format.
If you are in another semester, do check out the following:
There are three MBBS 1st Year Subjects including- Anatomy, Physiology, and Biochemistry. Anatomy is the most contributing subject for MBBS 1st Year Syllabus, Physiology is pure understanding while Biochemistry is mostly mugging up.
Please save this page through the print command to create an MBBS Syllabus PDF file. You can find out more about each thoroughly using the tables below:
MBBS First Year Subjects and Books List
|BD Chaurasia||Human Anatomy: 3 Volumes |
Handbook of Anatomy
|Vishram Singh||Textbook of Anatomy: 3 Volumes|
|Cunningham||Manual of Practical Anatomy|
|Bailey and Love||Clinical Anatomy|
|Vishram Singh||Textbook of Neuroanatomy|
|Inderbir Singh||Essentials of Osteology|
|A.K Dutta||Textbook of Osteology|
|Inderbir Singh||Textbook of Embryology|
|Sembuligam||Essential of Physiology|
|Guyton||Textbook of Physiology|
|Ganong’s||Review of Medical Physiology|
|A.K Jain||Textbook of Physiology: 2 Volumes|
|Indu Khurana||Textbook of Physiology|
|Satyanarayana||Textbook of Biochemistry|
|Lippincott||Illustrated Reviews of Biochemistry|
Anatomy may be one of the most challenging subjects to handle in the first year of MBBS. The subject deals with the structure of the human body.
It is suggested to stick to the B.D Chaurasia anatomy book, as it is still considered the bible of anatomy. Out of all the MBBS 1st Year Subjects, Anatomy remains the toughest one to pass because of the broad anatomy syllabus for first year MBBS.
This subject will also help you after MBBS, especially in NEET PG. The following MBBS books and curriculum will help you further through 1st year:
MBBS 1st Year Syllabus for Anatomy has been listed below:
1. General Anatomy
2. Regional Anatomy
a. – Upper limb
b. – Lower limb
c. – Abdomen
d. – Thorax
e. – Head Face Neck
f. – Spinal Cord & Brain
I – General Histology
II – Systemic Histology
4. Developmental Anatomy
I – General Embryology
II – Systemic Embryology
6. Radiological Anatomy, USG, CT, MRI
7. Surface Anatomy, Living & Marking
Anatomy Books for MBBS
Now that we know the MBBS First year Syllabus for Anatomy, we will move to the next section. The following Anatomy books for MBBS are recommended in the First year:
- B.D Chaurasia Human Anatomy 3 volumes
- Cunningham Manual of Practical Anatomy
- Bailey and Love Clinical Anatomy
- Vishram Singh Anatomy
- Gray’s Anatomy
- Sahana’s Human Anatomy
- Regional Anatomy by R. J. Last
- Human Histology by Inderbir Singh
- Atlas of Human Histology- DIFORE
- Surgical Anatomy- McGregor
- Histology- by ham
- Human Embryology – Inderbir Singh
- Human Embryology- Kadasne
- Medical Embryology – Langman
- Surface Anatomy & Radiology – Halim Das
- General Anatomy by – Chowrisia
- Textbook of Neuroanatomy – Inderbir Singh
- Central Nervous System – Poddar Bhagat
- Clinical anatomy for medical students – Richard Snell
Please click the links to download MBBS books PDF files. Additionally, you can check out our articles:
- Online Histology
- Pharyngeal arches mnemonics
- Anatomy mnemonics
- How to draw Brachial plexus in less than 10 seconds
Physiology is quite easy to understand as it is relatively easy and less to mug up. However, don’t lose focus or you are going to lose a whole year of MBBS. Comprehensive knowledge of the normal functions of the organ systems of the body to facilitate an understanding of the physiological basis of health and diseases.
For Physiology MBBS 1st Year Books, you can go in-depth on topics and even google things to further strengthen your basics. Most importantly, this subject is going to help you throughout all semesters.
The following Physiology books of MBBS are recommended (Ak Jain physiology being on top of the list) along with the syllabus of physiology:
The MBBS 1st year Syllabus for Physiology has been listed below:
- General Physiology
- Respiratory Physiology
- Cardiovascular Physiology
- Renal Physiology
- Body Temperature Regulation
- Alimentary System
- Endocrine System
- Reproductive Physiology
- Special Senses: Eye, Ear, Taste, Smell
- Central Nervous System
Following MBBS 1st Year Books are recommended for Physiology:
Textbooks of Physiology
- A.K Jain – Textbook of Physiology
- K Sembulingam- Textbook of Physiology
- Guyton – Textbook of Physiology
- Ganong – Review of Medical Physiology
- S. Wright – Applied Physiology
Need a PDF version of these MBBS books? Simply click the link. All our list is up to date with NMC.
- Best and Taylor – Physiological basis of medical practice
- Berne & Levy. – Principles of Physiology
As long as I remember giving my biochemistry exam, it was all about mugging up things and it remains the finest trick. This subject has very few worthy topics for an mbbs student unless you plan to go for post-graduation or a diploma in biochemistry. It contributes relatively less as compared to others in MBBS Syllabus.
Biochemistry is all about the scientific basis of life processes at the molecular level. Following mbbs books are recommended for biochemistry, U Satyanarayana being the preferred choice along with the MBBS syllabus for biochemistry as follows:-
The MBBS First Year Syllabus for Biochemistry has been listed below:
- Molecular and functional organization of a cell and its sub-cellular components
- Chemistry of enzymes and their clinical applications
- Chemistry and metabolism of proteins and related disorders
- Chemistry and metabolism of purines and pyrimidines and related disorders
- Chemistry and functions of DNA and RNA, Genetic code; Protein biosynthesis & regulation (Lac-operon)
- The principles of genetic engineering and their applications in medicine
- Chemistry and Metabolism of hemoglobin
- Biological oxidation
- Molecular concept of body defense and their applications in medicine
- Vitamins and Nutrition
- Chemistry and metabolism of carbohydrates and related disorders
- Chemistry and metabolism of lipids and related disorders
- Mineral metabolism: Water and electrolyte balance & imbalance
- Acid-base balance and imbalance
- Integration of various aspects of metabolism and their regulatory pathways with Starvation metabolism
- Mechanism of hormone action
- Environmental biochemistry
- Liver function tests, Kidney function tests, Thyroid function tests
- Detoxification mechanisms
- Biochemical basis of cancer and carcinogenesis
- Investigation techniques : (LCD-Topics ) Colorimeter, Electrophoresis, Chromatography & Flame photometer
Following MBBS 1st Year Books are recommended for Biochemistry:
Textbooks of Biochemistry
- U Satyanarayana
- Lippincott Illustrated Reviews of Biochemistry
- Biochemistry for Medical students by D.M.Vasudevan & Shree Kumari
- Medical Biochemistry by M.N. Chatterjea and Rana Shinde
- Text Book of Medical Biochemistry by Ramakrishnan, Prasannan & Rajan
- Medical Biochemistry by Debajyoti Das
- Biochemistry by A.C.Deb
The following Biochemistry books for MBBS are used as references:
- Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry
- Medical Biochemistry by N.V.Bhagwan
- Biochemistry by L.Stryer
- Biochemistry by Orten & Neuhans
You can also read our articles:
Make an MBBS Syllabus PDF by simply saving this page as a PDF by pressing CTRL+P (Print Command). Easy, right?
Loved the article on MBBS 1st Year Syllabus, Subjects, and Books list? Leave us feedback in the comments below.
Where are MBBS first year books download links? Please send links to the books.
sir can you please mail me pdf files of these books? need just first year books, especially bd chaurasia.
pls provide ak jain mbbs book link or mail me pls.thnk u very much
Plz suggests if bd chourasiya will be OK for 1st year or I need to go for another book
B.D Chaurasia is considered the bible of Anatomy in India. The book has received many updates since it was first introduced. If you still wish to go for other books, you can go for Gray’s anatomy mixed up with Acland’s Video Tutorials. Do perform cadaver dissections if you wish to learn anatomy deeply.
Please send me the list of Books needed for ist Professional MBBS
send the sylabus of first year medical mbbs
where the mbbs first year download links
Thank u so much for doing a great job.It really helps a lot.
I want to know more information about 1st year…….
Sir kya physics bhi aayegi mbbs me????
Not abit Suresh. MBBS is all medical and even the biology we read in our 12th, that comes too little as basics of human biology in first year of mbbs.
may God blessing you
I want more information about first year
How I can get Kaplan videos Free download?
Are the textbooks sufficient or reference books are the most important.
How much difficult are these books from 2nd year bio ?
BD Chaurasia has 4 volumes right? Including neuroanatomy
hello sir, i am pharm.d student. (Doctor of pharmacy). Sir it is also related to the same subjects as the mbbs of first year. i want to know that U satanyarana is enough for biochemistry or there is any other better book ? sir what are job opportunities in the hospital for a pharm.d graduate?