Already booked PLAB 1 overseas in UK but don’t know where to start for UK Visa for Plab 1 exam? Or heartbroken because your visa got rejected? This article will answer every question you can dig in on how to get visa to give PLAB 1 for GMC registration, including Cover letter format, Invitation letter, Documents required and experience whilst traveling to UK. There is another post on Plab 1 Study Materials- Free and Paid which you can check out too.
Please note this post is exclusively for PLAB 1 and not 2, however, you can find significant chunk of information for visa application for PLAB 2 as well.
Can I get Visa for Plab 1?
Of course you can! If you have eligibility and have booked your Plab Part 1 in UK after passing IELTS or OET, you can straight away apply for visa. You just need to know when and which documents you will require along with a very detailed cover letter. All these points are covered below. Once done with visa, you will need to create your own study schedule accordingly, please avoid following other “3 months study plan”.
When to apply?
Earliest time you can apply for UK visa is 3 months before traveling to UK. Let’s say you booked on 1st January for exam date 1st March, then you can apply on 1st January itself. Don’t be late because it takes time for visa processing. You can check out my post on Advanced Tricks for Booking PLAB 1 Slots here.
Which UK Visa is required for PLAB 1?
You will need to apply for Standard visitor visa and there you will need to pick Visit to study> Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test.
UK Visa Fees
It depends on which service you pick, but out of the three available options, you need to pick Standard Visitor Visa.
Standard Visitor Visa
A standard visitor visa for 6 months will cost you £100. This is the one you are going to pick for you exam. It comes usually within 3-6 weeks but can be late sometimes, hence, earliest booking is highly recommended.
This one is a bit high and costs £500 plus the application fee. So that will be a total of £600 overall. You will receive your visa within 5 working days through this approach.
Comes within one day and very costly (£956) but don’t bother, because you can’t get this one anyways.
What to do if applied for Visa but getting delayed
My advice? If you need it desperately, your only option is to cancel the current one and book a fresh one such as Priority visa. You cannot apply for two visa simultaneously.
Applying UK Visa for PLAB 1
Steps of Applying UK Visa for PLAB 1
- Visit UK Government website here
- Pick your primary language as English
- Select a country where you will give your Biometrics (Face and Thumb scanning)
- Check available visa application center locations> I have identified my biometrics (find one nearest to you, do a bit of research lazy bum)
- Complete application form
- Pay for UK Visa fees
- Provide Biometrics in the center selected at appointment schedule
- Wait for Visa processing
Important Points to note
- You can come back to every step UNTIL you have not submitted the final application and moved to documents uploading.
- For payment, preferably use a credit card with foreign transactions allowed.
- Make sure to pick sponsor if someone else is supporting you in finances for your trip to UK
Is TB test required?
No, it is for visa stay requiring more than 6 months of stay
Is BRP required?
Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is required only if stay is more than 6 months at a time. We are applying for less than 6 months, so don’t bother about it now.
Provide Biometrics- What to expect?
You can either upload all documents or pick the service to scan (SMS service is good, lounge service is not required but can go if you really don’t want to wait in queue for hours).
To make it convenient, I have highlighted the recommended services from VFS Global for Indian students below:
|Service||Amount (in INR)|
|Courier Assurance (including Courier charges)||880|
|Prime Time Passport Collection||616|
|Hold at Location||704|
|Two Way Courier Charges||1628|
|Walk-In Without Appointment (during submission hours only)||4500|
Documents required for UK Visa for PLAB 1 Exam
This part you have to break down in simple terms. You need to prove that you will return to your country after the exam. For this, some important key points on documents which you can show are:
- Showing tie with native country
- Show job- salary slip
- Show savings- 4x of the expenditure
- Show sponsor
- Show invitation letter from family member in UK
- Not required because visa might be rejected, pursue only if confident-
- Show accommodation in UK (hotel or your family stay)
- Show flight tickets (costly, even costlier if refundable. I did not book but I got it for the day next after I got my visa)
I don't know people underestimate the power of a cover letter and ignore it like waste of time. A perfect cover letter will definitely get you visa grant. Please, don't skip it.
To be honest, I am a very skeptical person. I had my own struggles in booking plab 1 slot, as GMC announced dates were over (and the expected ones were for an year after). You can check my post on Best Tricks to Book Plab 1 Exam Seat.
I wanted to get the visa anyhow. In panic, I uploaded 54 documents (I know how stupid this sounds but yeah, I did it!).
You can check out my list below, I have highlighted the important ones:
- My Passport
- Copy of my National ID (Aadhar card for Indians)
- Personal Affidavit
- A letter from the relevant UK authority confirming arrangements
- My PLAB 1 Booking Confirmation
- My Academic Certificates
- Copy of High School (10th) and Secondary School (12th) Certificates
- Copy of My MBBS certificates
- NEET PG Application (as I showed gap of 6 months for my exam studies in India)
- My DMC (Delhi Medical Council) registration
- My joining letter in hospital where I was working
- Evidence of family members in my home country whilst I travel
- Copy of Mother’s National ID
- Evidence of Home Address
- Copy of Utility bill (Gas)
- My Accommodation in UK
- Invitation letter from my brother
- Copy of his passport, Residence permit, Utility bills and Bank statement for 6 months
- Documents related to my finances
- My 6 month bank statement
- Documents related to financial support from my mother
- My mother’s letter of support
- My mother’s Affidavit of Financial Support
- My mother’s 6 month bank statement
- My Vaccination details (2 + Booster dose)
- PDF File explaining the heading- “Why I was unable to book Plab 1 exam in India” – How do you book or cancel a place – PLAB 1 guide – GMC
How to save PDF File for GMC Booking
To save any web page as a PDF file, simply give a print command and set destination to “Save as PDF”. Below screenshot might make things clearer:
Format of Invitation Letter
You can download my format for Invitation letter here. It was pretty simple though, but signature from person inviting you to UK are mandatory.
Cover Letter Format for UK Visa for PLAB 1
I know you scrolled to find this! Click below to download my cover letter.
What to carry on Biometrics day?
I was carrying my originals as well as copies, a full bag of documents. But none of them were asked, instead, only following three were required:
- Application form
- Appointment letter
Unable to Login to VFS?
If you lose or your ID or are unable to login to Biometrics provider (VFS in India), simply head to UK Visa mail where you will find a link.
Notably, while at counter for token, please don’t say you are going to stay for 10 days or 15 days, just say I have applied for 6 month visa.
What to expect on day of biometrics?
- When you arrive at visa center, you will first have to find UK Visa Center. Once found, review you passport and appointment letter at security.
- Then reach counter and get a token number after some queries the official will make.
- Wait for biometrics- Scan eye, face and thumb
Wait time for UK Visa for PLAB 1?
Mine was 12 weeks (yes i panicked and had to seek help in this), but usually it comes within 3-6 weeks.
My Experience after flying to UK
My experience at UK Airport
It was stupefying! I was scared how many questions I will be asked (usual movies experience). But here is how my conversation went:
>Friendly immigration officer- What is your purpose of visit? >My reply- "Plab 1 exam for doctors in UK" >Officer's reply- "Oh NHS? Best of luck!!!"
And whoosh, we were done.
Tip: Do memorize where you are going to stay and for how long, just in case.
After I got out of airport
I was clueless because it was my first time visiting UK. Tried to book cab at airport- 15k INR! Tried Uber- Indian phone number unacceptable, payment mode rejected (both credit card and cash). Finally called brother for rescue as it was 1 hour drive only.
Trust me, UK is entirely a different region. i have never seen so smiling and happy people. You will absolutely love it there if you like peace. If you are a super lively and social person, you will find it lonely as there are hardly people around.
If you need help regarding other topics, you can check out our posts on:
Guidelines to check out for PLAB 1 (crafted from NICE CKS)
Wishing you good luck for your visa application as well as your journey to UK. See you there fellas!
Please make sure to drop "Thanks" in comments if this post helps you get your visa. Otherwise expecting a free beer in UK.